Re: Jack stand points one more time

Hi Terry,

I had the same insecurity when I first got my car and I asked on this list
for advice. I think you're right - there just aren't any good supports for
a jack stand on E30's.

What I do now is this:

To jack up the front, I use the jack that came in the car, one side at a
time. I put a rag over it to protect the body.

I've cut little blocks of wood out from a 2 by 4, now (I think) 3" by 3",
about 1 3/4" thick. These fit neatly into the square places behind the
front wheel well. Apparently these spots really are meant to support the
car. The bottom of the little blocks I've shaped to fit neatly onto the
jack stands.

I'm kind of paranoid under the car, I really don't want to die by the car
crushing me so I put a third jack stand under the center of the front
subframe. This will catch the car if one of the other stands fail.

I havent needed to put the back up on jack stands yet. I think I'd make
similar pieces of wood to do that.

Michiel (87 325es http://www.vramp.net/~jmvw/cars/BMW/ )

At 01:21 PM 1/10/99 -0700, Terry Gates wrote:
>Over the past few months I've read several posts on jacking and
stabilizing E30 cars, however I'm still a little unsure of the exact
placement of jack stands for the both the front and rear of an E30 (1990
325iS).  When I look under the car I really don't see any solid points for
a jack stand.  This is my first season of working on my car and I would
really hate for it to be my last due to some faulty jack stand placement on
my part.  Please excuse the ignorance by a novice mechanic.  Pictures or
photos would be appreciated.  Thanks.