E28 Purchase

Sasha,

Go over the records and look for anything unusual.  Also, have a buyer's
inspection done which needs to include a compression test.  This can be very
telling when it comes to the condition of the engine.

$4K is a decent price, but if you have to put another $2-3 into it, the deal
is not as attractive.

The fact the seller is only the second owner is good, as is his having owned
7 BMWs.

Shifter can be swapped to a short shifter for about $300, including labor.
TRXs are problematic, could find 15 or 16" tires and wheels (used) for
$600-800.  Brake warning light probably means the sensor is bad - an
inexpensive fix.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Regards,

Reed
Seattle
1985 535i
163K

		Hi all,

		I am looking for a second E-28 - family is growing.
		I just tested 1985 535i with 197,000 miles on it.  White
with black leather in good condition.  Second owner (it is his seventh
consecutive BMW).  Records available.  Stock.  Reasonably clean, but not
pristine at all.  Mechanically sound - no front end shimmy (even though
bushing were not replaced), working AC, original paint in a good condition,
no evidence of body damage, inside engine (from what I can see trough oil
filler opening) is not terribly black, newer clutch, feels strong, and
sounds good.  Negative points - very sloppy shifter, TRXs,  breaks lining
light is on (even with new pads and rotors).
		I don't think owner will take less than $4000 for it.
		Do you think the price is right?
		Also, if there are E-28 for sale, I would love to know about
it.  I live in San Francisco Bay Area, however, at this point I am willing
to travel some distance for the right car and price.
		Any help will be appreciated.
		Thank you.
		Sasha.
		533i. 221k.