Re: E28 M5 Load Leveling & Production Qty

> Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 07:37:02 -0600
> From: Michael_Bird@domain.elided
> Subject: Re: E28 wheels (M5 -> 535) followed by a question (?)
>
> For what it's worth, the E28 M5 has a hydraulically controlled rear
> suspension that will "raise" the rear end when the sway bar sensor
sees you
> getting hot into a turn.

The sensor raises and lowers the car in response to a load in the car
only.  This is actually done to evenly distribute weight of the laden
vehicle on the rear tires.  The concept is that as the car is more
heavily laden, without load leveling, the the rear tires would be
exposed to excessive negative camber.  With load leveling, the rear
tires would be re-established at a fixed camber setting.

> Anyone out there have a firm grasp of the actual number sold in the
US?

For some reason, I remember the figure of about 1400 E28 M5s being
produced for the US.  All were black/tan except for about 85
black/black cars.  They do exist, an acquaintance @ a local BMW
dealership owns one.
==
Matthew Yip