Re: <E30>Help: something to move steering wheel for tall people

Hi Michiel, I think the answer to your ergonomic problems would be to sell
the car and buy a 1988 535is!  The sport seats in the 535is give about an
inch more headroom than the regular 535i, and the steering column
telescopes.

If you do find a way to move your E30 steering wheel, your reach for the
column-mounted stalks will be longer.  I learned what that might be like
when I replaced my E30 turn signal switch with one that was shorter
and bent farther forward (even though it was also supposed to be for
an E30).  The replacement stalk ended up about 2 inches (5 cm) farther
away, and it was downright difficult to reach.  (Of course, it also didn't
solve the problem I was trying to fix, so out it came.)

You don't just want to move the steering wheel, you want to move all the
column-mountes stalks/switches, too.  This would require some custom
column covers (or just cut up the ones you have) and some kind of
spacers for the switch mounts.  It's not worth it, if you ask me, when
what you really need is a car that fits you better!

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977
1990 325i/is hybrid