Re: Re: E28 wheels (M5 -> 535) followed by a question (?)

At 12:36 PM 1/20/99 -0500, Michael wrote:
>For what it's worth, the E28 M5 has a hydraulically controlled rear
>suspension that will "raise" the rear end when the sway bar sensor sees you
>getting hot into a turn.   This is to reduce the chance of rubbing the
>tires on the fenders.   I guess BMW thought this was better (or at least
>cheaper) than stamping new body panels for just a few thousand cars.

The fender lips for M5's are trimmed so they would fit a wider tire.  This,
to my understanding, was the case for all E28 M5's, not just the US
versions.  The Self-leveling rear's main emphasis was to make the car more
stable at the higher Autobahn speeds.

>My point?   My point is that if you put M5 size tires on a 535/528, you're
>going to have to do something to make it work.   Yes, yes, I know I'm a
>great help.   But I still don't get this fender rolling thing (maybe
>someone can explain it to me OFF-LINE).

I think this is a car-to-car point.  I can't put anything bigger than a
225/50-16 on my car without some serious camber changes in the back.  I
already lowered it about 1" (thereby giving me extra camber...and wearing
tires out a lot faster) but I still rub occassionally when I have people in
the back (I have big friends).  Some M5 owners have put 235's without any
hassle and others have put 255's with a little help from a baseball bat and
a fender puller (hey Sherm).

Some regular E28 people have put 225's with no problems.  It's also
dependant on the  wheel offset.  M5's have a 20mm offset.  If you go to
maybe a 25mm offset on a regular E28 you may not need to roll anything.

Another consideration is the make of tire you get.  BF Goodrich tires have
a large bulge on the side.  Pirelli's are relatively flat.  I may be able
to fit a 235 in a Pirelli, but not in a BFG.

Best advice?  Find guys with E28's and plus 1 or plus 2 wheels and ask if
you can try them on your car.  That's probably the only way you will find
out for certain.  If you are in the Central CA area I have both 16" and 17"
wheels you could try.

Hope this helps.  Sorry for the length.

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5 (w/17" wheels and 225 Pirellis on the balcony)
'72 tii (w/15" wheels and crap 195's on the car)
'98 Baby Racer (would 13" wheels w/175's fit???)

PS  Hey Duane.  Nice tool deal.  Wish I had some extra money.