Re: E28 wheels (M5 -> 535) followed by a question (?)

Rob posted a question about putting M5 sized tires on his 535/528 and Reed
responded with some great stuff about offsets and rolling the fenders and
my eyes just sorta glazed over...

For what it's worth, the E28 M5 has a hydraulically controlled rear
suspension that will "raise" the rear end when the sway bar sensor sees you
getting hot into a turn.   This is to reduce the chance of rubbing the
tires on the fenders.   I guess BMW thought this was better (or at least
cheaper) than stamping new body panels for just a few thousand cars.

My point?   My point is that if you put M5 size tires on a 535/528, you're
going to have to do something to make it work.   Yes, yes, I know I'm a
great help.   But I still don't get this fender rolling thing (maybe
someone can explain it to me OFF-LINE).

While I'm thinking of it, I thought BMW exported 2000 1988 M5's into the
US, and that's what spawned the lawsuit (they had promised to make only
500).   But yet my little "M" magazine from BMW referenced only 1000 E28
(total) being sold.  Naturally, they meant to say "in the US" I'm sure, but
still, I thought it was 2K.  And every so often I see an add for an M5 that
says "Rare!  One of only 753 cars made!" or some such nonsense.   Anyone
out there have a firm grasp of the actual number sold in the US?

Michael
E28 M5
E24
E39