Re: <e28> Control arm bushings

>I am replacing my control are bushing on my 88 535is as we
>speak. I bought standard 7 series bushings from a local BMW
>parts place here in Houston at a cost of $45 dollars each.
>The problem that I have had before I started the work was
>that there is no reliable data on what dimensions the 7
>series bushing need to modified to.

snip long sad story of someone working too hard to save a buck and
spending more instead (been there, done that)

>If I was drawing a moral from this story it would
>be; purchase the control arms with the modified bushings
>from Steve D, make sure you know what parts need to
>replaced, make sure you have all the tools, and have lots of
>bear on hand and let the knuckle banging commence. I can't
>wait, either can my wife, to up-grade my suspension.
>
>Mike B.

I second that. I had the two big wrenches (and a big socket that helped
somewhat) and borrowed the tie rod puller from a guy at work. Spent $20
pressing the bushings at a nearby CarQuest and my tie rod ends were still
good.

Just buy the whole arm with (750) bushing already pressed in if you even
suspect the arms are worn out. (Steve D sells these).

Remember the 750 bushings need to have the diameter, outer length, and
center length all reduced to do it right.

It worked on my car. I can now brake without ever having the massive
shakes attacking.

BTW the OEM 535 bushings died late in 1994 even though they had a 1991
production date. The 750 bushings are supposed to last a lot longer.

Chris Guy - BMW535i86@domain.elided
86 535i 5sp, bought early 1994
Denver, CO

E28 Home Page - http://members.aol.com/BMW535i86