Re: Wheel clearances - 17" on 328

Just following up on the fitment of 235/45-17 tires on 35mm 17x8" wheels
on my '97 328i...  The front tires will rub against the plastic fender
liner on the rear (foot well area).  I haven't had any rubs against the
fenders yet.  I don't think 40mm offsets or steering limiter kits will
be any help here.  The problem occurs when the suspension is
compressed.  The tire rubs against the same spot that it rubs when the
steering is turned all the way in.  It's kind of a straight edge on the
liner that should have been a curved surface to match the contour of the
tires.  Oh, why did BMW shaped the liner this way??  There must be 2
inches or more of clearance behind it and it doesn't seem to serve any
purpose except maybe reducing wind noise or something like that.

So, does anyone know if the M3 has a differently shaped fender liner?
As it stands today, the only workarounds I see are: (1)to either cut a
hole on the liner where the tire rubs, or (2)somehow move the a-arm ball
joint forward by using some offset a-arm bushings that add caster, or
(3)installing M3 liners if they provide more clearance.  I know, I know,
I could also use 235/40-17 tires and possibly avoid the rub, but if it
fits the M3, it should also fit the 328 with minor modifications and
that will give me more flexibility on tire choices.

Luis Marques
'97 328i