Re: More on M5 (& M3) Transplant Surgery **Rob

 "John Kjos" <fastwheels@domain.elided> wrote:

>Subject: More on M5 (& M3) Transplant Surgery
>I recently received an "informal estimate" from Dinan to install a '95
>M3 engine in my '94 E34 Touring. It was in the $10k-$11K range. I was
>told that this was a straight forward installation.
>I also recently saw a E34 M5 engine installation (in progress) in a
>'85-'88 535i. It was being done by a shop in Tempe, AZ (forget the
>name right now). The owner said his was the 2nd shop to work on this
>project.
>Seems like the M3 engine conversion would be easiest and probably the
>cheapest way to go...wish the Touring had some problems to help me
>justify the surgery.

        There are two factors here; cost and ease.  In truth, I think the M5
engine would be the easiest conversion... that engine is normally found in
the E34 and E28 chassis, everything is in place to bolt it in.  The M3
engine is less expensive to purchase, there are plenty more S50/S52 than
S38s!

        It's a tough call which to get - the M5 engine has more panache and
exclusivity but is a lot more expensive to maintain.  Opportunities for
prodigious amounts of additional horsepower are out there, but pricey.  The
M3 engine also offers afteramrket opportunities but seems out of place in an
E34 - why put the engine from a smaller car in a big car?

- - Rob Levinson
FOR SALE: '85 535i Turbo that is a wee bit quicker than an M5.
www.bubbaclub.com/4sale.htm