E28 component

I can't keep my 533i running. Outside of the fuse box there are two square
aluminum components, and a brown plastic component. These all have
schematics on them. There is also a rectangular component that has no
markings and plugs into a receptacle next to the brown plastic one. This
rectangular component started smoking when I finally had the car running.
It's also leaking a brown liquid that smells like asphalt! What is this
component and could it be the cause of my starting problems? Thanks in
advance.

Cheers, Tom

(R)  tomsfam@domain.elided
(O)  Tom.Thomas@domain.elided