E36 Squeal

Brandon,

Duane was nice enough to help me out also a couple of months a go with the
same question.  My brakes were sounded worse than a poorley maintained
logging truck.  I tried the goop, more goop, different goop, and blue goop.
 I tried using the old shims.  Could not find the teflon ones Duane had
suggested, so I tried champhering the leading and trailing edges of the
pads at about a 23 degree angle.  Again no luck.

The problem on my '94 318ic was that the original factory pads were
slightly smaller than the new pads that replaced them.  The rotors all had
a slight lip on the outer edges where the slightly smaller factory pads had
not worn the rotors.  The replacement pads had more surface area and
actually touched this lip on the outer part of the rotor.  I had the rotors
resurfaced, which removed the lip and the squeal.  When I compared the
factory original pads to the ones I purchased from the dealer the new ones
had slightly more pad area for some reason.  YMMV

Kevin Lee
94 BMW 318ic
90 Honda Accord, spends weekends on jack stands
74 Ford F100, hauls parts for the honda