<E34> Front End Questions

I have the dreaded front end shimmy and loose steering in my E34.  I've
purchased a pair of heavy duty hydraulic thrust arm bushings.  Will
replacing these reduce the shimmy I experience at 55-65 mph and during
braking?  Also, does anyone have any tips on the replacement procedure.
The bentley manual suggests a special tool to remove the ball joint on the
other end of the thrust arm without damaging it, but I haven't been able to
locate one in any catalogs. (Maybe the Ultimate garage can answer this?).
Do the lower control arm bushings also need to be replaced to reduce
shimmy?

Concerning the looseness in steering, when i purchased the car about a year
and a half ago with 80,000 miles the steering was tight as can be.  Now the
steering wheel has an inch or so play in the middle before it causes the
wheels to move.  There is a screw and locknut on top of the steering box.
Will adjusting this tighten up the steering at all?  I've also heard some
rumors about a large nut under the drivers side kick panel that works
itself loose that could cause the same problem.

Anyhow, if anyone has any suggestions/answers/or links to a FAQ, you can
e-mail me privately at lance@domain.elided or feel free to share it with
the list.

Thanks,
Lance Cameron