E39 - 528 w/ M-Technic suspension

Looking for advice.  I drove a '99 528i w/ 5 spd and sport package and I
have to say, I was the most impressed I've been in a car since my cousins
E34-M5.  Granted, not quite the acceleration, but this car is
fantastic...and, unfortunately out of my budget.  Hence the question.  Is
there a car that is comparable from the '97 or '98 years that would be as
good in the handling department?  I realize the engine hasn't changed, and
as far as I know, the only change to the brakes on the '99s is that they are
vented at all four corners.  The sport package seems like a good deal
compared to doing the work later...$1900 for 17" rims/tires and completely
different suspension would be impossible to beat aftermarket...I guess the
real question relates to the suspension on the std. 5.  Is it too soft?  Is
it worth the stretch to go for the '99 to get what I really want?
John Thomas
'94 318i   55k - FOR SALE - $16,499 /OBO
'87 325  165k
http://www.wenet.net/users/johnt/bmw.html