Should I sell my BMW???? - Please advise

To all digest members:

Here is the problem.  I have a 1992 4 door 325IA (E36 with an auto trans.)
with 60K miles that I love dearly.  I worked very hard to save up for this
car and purchased the car when it was 3 years old with 35K miles for
$20,000.00.  The car is calypso red (burgundy) and has limited slip, leather
seats,  heated seats, power sunroof, and a factory Alpine CD player.  My
problem is that I have been spending about $2,000 to $3,000 a year in
maintenance bills!!!  It seems that my car has suffered from EVERY known
problem that the 1992 E36's have (door panels, ball joints, HVAC, poor trim
parts, sunroof, etc), plus many other problems.  Some of these other
problems have been: A/C problems ($600), failed brake calipers (two of them
for $1,000.00 each time - brake pads, rotors, caliper, alignment), power
window problems, muffler at 45K miles, lots of rattles , and my current
problem of a broken driver's side window which has already cost me several
hundred dollars.  To make matters worse, I am afraid that my problems may
have only begun.  Several things that are giving me SERIOUS concerns are the
possibility of having to rebuild the automatic transmission and to repair
the rear sub-frame (a well known problem with the car).  With all of these
problems, I have been seriously thinking of selling my car, but I would like
the input of the list first.
1. What is the life expectancy of the E36 automatic transmission?  FYI, I
drive about 8K miles a year and it's all heavy city driving.
2. What is the current feeling on the rear sub-frame issue?  Are dealers
aware of this issue and paying for it?  Should I be concerned of this issue?
3. Does anyone else feel that their BMW is very maintenance intensive and
expensive to maintain?

I just want to avoid spending more money on a car that is worth only $12,000
and depreciating daily.  If the transmission and rear sub-frame are an
issue, I think that it is best to sell the car now before I spend more money
that could be put to better use on another car.  If I do decide to get a
different car, I think that I will not get another BMW.  As much I love
their cars, the two that I have owned have been nothing but problems, and my
local dealer is very arrogant and expensive (they charge 50% above list for
all parts!!!).   Please advise.

Ken Ross
Kdross@domain.elided

Please advise.