Re: bmw-digest V9 #850 Garage Flooring

In a message dated 1/16/99 11:57:18 US Mountain Standard Time, owner-bmw-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 The best solution (in my opinion) is a 125 mil quartz-epoxy floor (about
 $5-6 sq ft).  These will fill in cracks, are slip resistant and will not
 absorb any chemicals or liquids.  Others on the digest have indicated that
 Griot epoxy paint is the "best" thing available.  Check some of your local
 firehouses that park 66,000 lb trucks on their surfaces.......see which
 coating they prefer.  SD >>

As an Architect, I can tell you that you must coordinate your selection with
the conditions underneath the slab.  If you have appropriate underslab
drainage and a barrier to capillary action (such as crushed rock and an
unbroken vapor barrier)  you should be able to use a material like epoxy that
may not "breathe".  Otherwise vapor pressure can delaminate your coating.
Climate is also an issue because of the potential for condensation or
freezing.  The fire station in your example was probably designed and built
with these things considered.  Your residential garage may not have been.
Color, cleanability and wear resistance are all important, but won't matter if
the surface (and substrate) isn't appropriate or has not been prepped/primed
properly. Be careful.

Chas
'83 633CSi
'85 528e