The Nut That Holds the Wheel

No, not the human, I mean the actual nut that holds the steering wheel
on your car.  It is a locking nut.  The Bentley manual says to replace
it whenever you remove it.  I've removed lots of BMW steering wheels (my
current one 3 times lately, and a 4th time to come!), and I've never
replaced the nut.  When I posted to the Digest to find out if anyone
ever replaced it, all the responses were the same - no one ever replaced
the nut.

Today I stopped by East Bay BMW (Pleasanton, CA).  They don't stock the
nut.  I asked if maybe they don't pull a lot of wheels.  The parts guy
said they OFTEN pull the steering wheels, but they never replace the
nut.

In case any of you were losing sleep over having not replaced the nut, I
say:  Don't worry about it.  The way I see it, if the steering wheel
comes loose, you'll know it long before it falls off in your lap!

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977

End of bmw-digest V9 #848