Re: bmw-digest V9 #844

In a message dated 1/15/99 9:33:19 AM Pacific Standard Time, owner-bmw-
digest@domain.elided writes:

> Now my question:   I was at a local electronics store last night.  For sake
>  of example, let's call it Circuit City.   I was looking at getting a new
>  stereo for my E28, and was talking with the installers about the
>  requirements for an amplifier.  This amp would be around 400 watts (peak),
>  and he recommended a 4 AWG wire with an 80 AMP fuse.   The last time I did
>  something like this (back in the eighties, when BMW owners were yuppies,
>  not the sophisticates that we are now) I ran two large amps and a crossover
>  off of a single 30 (fused) Amp circuit using 10 AWG wire, with no problems.
>  The young man at CC was trying to tell me that with 4 AWG that the wire is
>  so large, even if the amp is not on (not drawing power), a 30 amp fuse
>  would blow the minute you plug it in.   I just don't get it.   That's not
>  how I understand electricity to work.   He also was adamant that nothing
>  less than 4 AWG would do the job.  I think that's overkill.   I also told
>  him that the car would be on fire before an 80 AMP fuse would blow.   I
>  also wonder if the electrical system would even produce 80 amps?   But he
>  was young, and maybe he knows something I don't...
>
>  So, do any of you guys/gals have any thoughts?  Am I right?  If not, can
>  you explain it to me in layman's terms?   I am assuming that there are
>  enough youngsters and oldsters alike (I fall in-between, thank you very
>  much) that this would be of general interest, but if I am mistaken, I
>  apologize (and you may answer privately).
>
>  Question #2 :  Removing the stock head unit from dash: there appears to be
>  two allen head bolts holding it in, somewhere between 2 and 2 1/2 mm.
>  None of my various metric and standard allen wrenches will fit.
>  Suggestions?   Special tool?
>
>  Many thanks in advance, or MTIA as some might say.
>
>  Michael

Michael,

I can tell you that I have been pushing 630 watts from one 10 ga wire
connected to a distribution block.  You can jump start cars with 4 ga wire.
Totally unnecessary- I don't care what anybody says.  "It'll sound better"
they'll say.  i don't buy it.  I'm with you on this one.

Just don't get wire from home depot is my thing.  Use quality cable.  I used
monster cable.  phoenix gold or the good stuff from radio shack is probably
just as good.  I just happened to have monster cable in my garage.

BTW, I think you can blow an 80 amp fuse before setting the car on fire.  I've
taken out 55 amp one while doing my first stereo install on my first car when
I was 16.  I used 30 amp fuses for my amps.

question #2: yes there is a special 5 sided hex tool.  Ask nicely at your
local BMW dealer or if you buy at Circuit City, ask their installer if you can
just borrow the tool- the thing turns a quarter turn and releases I believe-
it's not really a screw.

good luck,
Rob