Re: steering rack

Mark Sipe wrote:
> You don't want a granny-style 17.8:1 E36 M3 rack, you want a zippy 15.4:1 Z3
> 2.8 rack.
>
> Trust me on this one, it's no joke.

Interesting. I've been looking at ways to quicken the steering on my
318ti since autocrossing an M3 a couple of times. It wasn't the power
that I lusted for (although that ain't bad either), but the quicker
steering response. It took a lot less motion of the wheel to negotiate a
slalom.

I looked into an M3 rack, but no one could tell me for sure if this was
actually a quicker rack that what's in the ti. Actually, I thought all
E36s had 15.4 ratio racks, but it looks as if I'm mistaken.

I did notice in a early review of the Z3 1.9 that it has 2.8 turns lock
to lock compared to the ~3.25 in my car. How does the 1.9 rack compare
to the 2.8? What does the M Roadster or Coupe get? I assume a Z3 2.8
part would be cheaper than an ///M part?? Can I assume that 318ti and Z3
1.9/2.8 racks are 100% bolt-in interchangeable?

Any opinions on which rack would be the best choice for the ti are
appreciated.
- --
Ron Katona