re:Original Key

>Date: Fri, 15 Jan 99 07:49:47
>From: dws@domain.elided
>Subject: Original Key
>David wrote:
>     I have the original key that came with my '86 325es, you
>     know, the one with the little lite so you can actually
>     get the key into the lock instead of rearranging the paint
>     around it. Anyway, the bulb is broken, missing really. Are
>     replacement 'boards' available to make it well again?
>     David Simmons
>     Eureka, Ca.

David,
If the bulb is missing or broken, you don't need a "board".  All you
need is a new bulb.  It pops right in there.  You split the casing apart
and remove old bulb and insert new one. My advice is not to bother
though, as it doesn't last long at all and doesn't shine very brightly.
The dealer has plenty of these bulbs handy.  They'll probably just give
one to you.

Chuck MacWilliam, R.N.
'92 525i
'85 325e