re: '91 318is Question

>I'm looking to buy a '91 318is with 61K miles from a local dealer. When I
>saw it today they had the cylinder head off and explained to me that a
>gasket between the water pump and the head had failed. They showed me some
>rotten looking gasket with a rectangular opening and said that was what
>they were replacing. Does this sound right?

It's called profile gasket failure and ALL M42 engines built before about
9/93 will get it sooner or later. My 3/93 went at 56K and was replaced under
UK warranty. If yours has been replaced it will have been with the new style
gasket which is a better material, yet to hear of any failures. I'd buy the
car as any other 318iS you look at may NOT have had it done.

IMHO the E30 318iS is one of the best handling BMWs ever made and I miss my
old one. Honestly a poor man's M3 :-)

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Aberdeen, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!