'91 318is Question

I'm looking to buy a '91 318is with 61K miles from a local dealer. When I
saw it today they had the cylinder head off and explained to me that a
gasket between the water pump and the head had failed. They showed me some
rotten looking gasket with a rectangular opening and said that was what
they were replacing. Does this sound right??  The head has to come off??
I'm going to drive the car as soon as it's ready to go. Anything else I
should look for?

Please reply directly.

Thanks,
Bill