<E34> swaybars install

>Any tips for installing swaybars on an E34 (525iT specifically)?

I have installed M5 bars (28/22mm) on my 92 525i.  Make sure that you raise
and support both sides of the front/rear of the car to take the tension off
of the old bars.  Take a little time to study the orientation of the
existing bars and to note what is above/below the bars.  After unbolting the
old bar, tread it out the side of the car.  I love this
part.......installation is the reverse of disassembly.  Seriously, coat the
new bushings with lithium grease to ease installation and to avoid squeaks,
especially if you have urethane bushings.  If the new bars are adjustable
(recommended), connect the links to the sway bar ends at the lowest setting
initially.  After you've tried out the bars, you can adjust the front/rear
link attachments based upon your experience.

This relatively inexpensive change makes a noticeable improvement in the
E34's handling without effecting the ride quality.  Cornering is much
flatter, transitions are less abrupt, and there is no boy racer price to
pay.  It's definitely an upgrade any E34 or E36 owner should consider before
considering more extreme and expensive modifications.

Re: the recent M50 thermostat threads.  Like several of you, I decided
change the thermostat on my 93 325is when the temp gauge registered below
normal temps and the heater wasn't.  Four attempts later, I offer this
humbling advice.  For those of you thinking about buying the special 34mm
wrench to loosen the screw-on fan, I discovered that my Craftsman 12"
crescent fit nicely in the limited available space.  So much for the good
news.  After I removed the old thermostat, like some others, I found that a
weld had broken.  Per Bentley instructions, I bought a new OE thermostat and
O-ring and proceeded with what I thought would be a one hour job, having
changed out thermostats on several cars in the past.  Install....leak.
Reinstall....leak.  Reinstall....leak.  Finally, I swallowed my pride at
having failed this most basic of automotive tasks and talked with one of the
techs at the local BMW store.  It seems that BMW changed the oblong rubber
seal on the thermostat housing since my car was produced; the new seal is
thicker than the original.  BTW, the thermostat housing on M50s is plastic,
which should convince you to pay attention to the recommended torque values.
Install....no leak.  If there's a moral here it's don't assume that
reassembly is just the reverse.

Ron Sanders
92 525i
93 325is