<E30> Ready for exhaust.. recomendations please

I've attempted this post before but didn't get any responses.  I'll try again.

I'm looking to get a new exhaust system for my car, 86 325ES.
It's a daily driver that I also enjoy to street race every now and then.  I'm
definately not a "hard core" racer, but I have the need (along with every
other teenager) to go faster.  I don't want a cheap, loud, japaniese sound.  A
bit more sound is fine, but not TOO much.  I want the best performance also.
One caveat, the lowest price.

I have a few choices at my local mufler shop.

Flowmaster - 3 chamber (quieter than 2 chamber they say)
DynaMax - they say it's ok
Magnaflow - they say it doesn't have good performance and don't like to put
them on.
ANSA - they don't cary them, but if I insist they'll get me one.

I wish I could order a supersprint but there no way I can afford one.

I have a friend with a MagnaFlow and I think it sounds "ok" and he says it
performs good on his 84 318i.
Which, of the above, will give me the best performance?

I can do any of them for in between $100-$200.

Should I do cat back and replace the resonator?  I don't even know what it is
and what advantages it will have to replace it.
Or should I just replace the muffler?

So what do you all suggest I do, given those limited choices.  Again, I want
performance, without TOO much sound.  I'd rather not draw police attention.  I
don't mind some sound, but it better not wake the neighborhood.

Finally, if I am going for a free-flow exhaust I should wait on ordering a
cheap right?  Don't they work off of what mods you allready have?  I'd like to
not have to replace the chip after every mod, so I'm guessing I should wait
until last to order a chip.

Thanks,
Jeff Patch

http://jamspot.simplenet.com   <--- Please check out my BMW/E30 site.