Re: <E36>M42 Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement BA

>From: r browne <r_browne@domain.elided>
>Subject: <E36>M42 Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement

I'm glad I missed the conversation.....

>Below is text from an email
>from a fellow digestor, which includes part numbers and replacement
>tips:
>When facing the engine from the front, Its located on the left side of
>the cylinder head,

NEVER refer to the left or right of a vehicle unless you are sitting in
the drives seat.  This is the accepted standard and doing otherwise only
promotes confusion.  Left is the side that the driver sits on in the US
and most of Europe, regardless of where you are standing when looking at
the vehicle.

>and then releasing it once installed. The problem was, that to release
the plunger that the upper timing chain cover had to be removed so that
you could "release" the plunger by pressing the tensioner rail against
the plunger.

Not even remotely true.  While I do advocate replacing the tensioner
rather than trying to reset it, which is usually unsuccessful, you do
not need to remove the upper timing cover.  Simply inserting a
screwdriver into the engine to press the tensioner will suffice.
Removing the upper timing cover on an M42/M44 engine is a nasty job.

>you just unscrew the old one and pop in the new one, tighten to about,
18ft-lbs ... its impossible to get a torque wrench in there so just use
a wrench, guess at the torque, not too critical, just don't over
tighten, could crack the head.

Agreed, not critical, but certainly not difficult to get a torque wrench
on either.

>Then start the engine and maintain revs at about 3500 rpm. It will be
noisy for about 15 seconds.

This is the worst part of this job.  It is scary listening to your
engine make horrific rattling noises for 20 or more seconds after
starting, but is all apart of the job.

>Ron Browne

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician