<E28> HP Test w/ G-Tech Part II

The test was actually with the MAF off the car.  I attempted to install it
in another 535 but I lost the wiring directions and therefore could not
install it in the other car or even put it back into my car.

So, assuming drivetrain losses are 15% for a manual transmission drivetrain:
144 hp /.85 = 169.4 hp. in a car originally rated at 182 hp with over 204k
miles.  Also, the injectors have never been cleaned, the AFM is shot, I have
no idea what fuel pressure I am running, and the plugs have over 40 k miles
on them.

Also, there is aerodynamic drag took take into account.  A Ford Escort needs
about 10 hp to cruise at 50 mph (or so I remember from a high school physics
problem).   My car has a much higher Cd and frontal area and would therefore
need more power at the same speed.  The peak HP came at the upper end of the
RPM band during my 2nd gear pulls so I would guess that peak HP occured in
the vicinity of 50 mph.

So, 169.4 + 10 hp (at least) = 179.4 hp (vs. 182 new) in a well used car in
a poor state of tune is not bad.

> I recieved my G-Tech Pro yesterday and was finally able to find out how
much
> power my 535is hog is putting to the ground.  After running several tests
in
> both directions along the same flat section of road, I threw out the high
> and low readings.  The average max HP with a weight guesstimate of 3450
lbs
> was.........
>
> 144 HP at the rear wheels.

Ed Walters
1988 BMW 535is 1997-1998 NNJR SCCA ESP SOLO II 1st Place
		   1998 Pizzafest Sport BMW 1st Place
		   1997 NJBMWCCA Points Series 2nd Place
		   BL/SSed, ERKed, coilovered, camber/castered
		   EW/MAFed (currently in trunk)

1974 BMW 2002  The Safari Sled

Team DFL	   Bringing low-cost high performance to
		   a BMW near you.

www.shortshifter.com, UUC Motorwerks, "Holy Shift!"

Pomoto Pictures, "The Deer and the Cheetah",
		   an unromantic comedy, coming eventually
		   to a theater near you