re: <E28> Auto transmission issues, maybe

> Got a question for all those E28 gurus on the list (there must be a few of
> you, at least).  Basically, I know that the 528e transmissions - even the
> '88 ones - have a reputation for failing at exactly 120K miles, if not
> sooner.  Well, I've got 126K on the clock, and I'm starting to see things
> that make we worry.  Like sometimes (very rarely) I'll step on the gas and
> it'll feel almost like the rear wheels are spinning, but the car won't
> walk, shimmy, or exhibit any of the other symptoms - but the engine isn't
> revving freely, either.

If you're worried then remove the oil pan, there are two
magnets in the bottom which should be checked for signs of
metallic debris.

You'll need a new oil gan gasket and while you're there
replace the oil filter screen and it's O-ring.

You'll probably fail to remove the 32mm bolt connecting
dipstick tube and oil pan, I couldn't make it budge. Just
take of the oil pan and dipstick together.

You'll need a small (4mm?) hex bit or allen key for the oil
pan drain and a Torx bit (can't remember size) for the three
bolts on the filter screen. Be careful not to over torque
anything when you put it back together. A new washer for the
drain plug is a good idea.

Big tip - use GOOD QUALITY Dexron II or III ATF to refill it
and you MUST check the oil level with the engine running!

Most folk will give a car an oil change but the gearbox and
final drive always get forgotten about.

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Aberdeen, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!