Re: Here's the scoop, bottom line

David Simmons said: (edit edit)

>     If the seller
>     makes an offer, in this case an advertisement or quote
>     over the phone, and it is accepted by the buyer, such
>     that his/her money exchanges hands,(ie they charged your
>     credit card), there is a legal binding contract. If the
>     seller later discovers an error on their part they get to
>     eat it, no moral or emotional grounds here. The fact remains
>     they made an agreement and are in breech if they don't honor
>     it. If the buyer feels that he/she does not want to take
>     advantage of the seller's error that is fine, and commendable.

Innit odd?  Someone makes an articulate, well-reasoned presentation of how
to treat others in a moral way, an action that no doubt contributes to
long-term, happy business relationships, and David responds with "contracts
and legalities".

I think this explains a lot, actually, but I won't go there.

Suffice it to say, that if all we do is what is the legally-required
minimum, and no more, and someone claims that to be our only obligation,
and the only "bottom line", then the lawyers truly do run the world.

In reality, (you know that place where we actually DO business?) actual
adults patronize those who treat us in an ethical manner, and actual adults
treat those we patronize in an ethical manner, simply because it makes for
a better relationship, and, sorry for the philosophy, a better *life*.

Sorry, but the law, and the contract is not the only "bottom line".

Part of the cognitive dissonance here is that Sears (one of David's
examples) is a big outfit, and can afford some mistakes.   The folks who
work on and sell parts for Bimmers, are not, and often a mistake can hurt
their very ability to remain in business.

Much of what we do in this small little world of BMW's involves personal
relationships and trust.   Grabbing every advantage you can get away with
legally, means you are just "the public", and only interested in yourself,
and if that is the case, why the hell should anyone care about you or your
needs?   Why spend time with you on the phone?  Why tell you about upgrades
and offer to advise you on a project?   Why care about you at all?   They
are not legally and contractually *required* to are they?   But we always

If a vendor (even Sears) makes a mistake in my favor, I will tell them
about it, and I will return the difference.

That is more than "commendable", David, it is moral.

It makes me happy, it makes the vendor happy, and the little world I live
in a better place for a few minutes.

Try it!

DC

Don Cicchetti - BMW CCA member 122043
dcicchet@domain.elided
'71 2002/M42 (waddya mean that motor don't go in there?)

- -Beatnik Motor Werke-       0=OO=0