Re: bmw-digest V9 #833

> From: jim.powell@domain.elided
> Subject: Since when is taking advantage of a fool a moral victory?
>
>      My, my, my.  How low we have slithered into the gutter.

<snip, some good points>

>      You people know who you out there forwarding this type of behaviour as
>      acceptable.  Why these idiots at the bookstores deserve to be ripped
>      off.  Teach 'em a lesson to be more careful.
>
>      Rethink what you are saying or stay away from me.  I don't need to be
>      taken.  I don't need to be associated with people who would do it.
>      You only get one reputation.  Take care of it.

Well, since I was one of the people who mentioned what a deal I got on
"Unbeatable", I'll throw in my opinions.

I checked out bestbookbuys.com, and found several stores that offered
the book at great prices.  I ordered 2 copies from a1books.com.  (I was
ordering a copy for a friend, who moved to China)  I emailed them
several times and asked if $27 was the correct price.  They said it was,
but that the book was on backorder from the publisher, and it would take
several weeks to get it.  I left my order with them, and tried several
other places.  I exchanged several emails with someone from
1bookstreet.com, and explained that I was looking for the book, that I
heard it was on backorder from the publisher.  I asked them if their
price of $35.96 was correct.  They said it was, and that they had the
book in stock.  I called them up, and ordered it.  No, I didn't say
"Hey, this book is way underpriced" but I did give them plenty of
opportunity to check on the actual price of the book.  They had it in
stock, so they should have known the price.  I ordered it.  Then I
emailed a1books, and told them to cancel my order, that I found the book
in stock somewhere else.  They told me they got the books in early, and
already shipped my order.  I never had to say "Hey, honor your
advertised price!" they just did it.  I wasn't going to keep the other 2
copies, but since they charged me $27 apiece, I did.  I could have
shipped them back I guess, but I didn't.

So now I have 3 copies, at an average price of $29.99.  What am I going
to do with them?
Hey, maybe I'll sell them for $40 and make a little money - NOT.  I have
a couple of cool gifts for some buddies of mine.  Is that so wrong?  I
spent over $90, and I get one book.  I just get to share my luck with
others.  I wasn't out to screw any company, but when I bought the book
at a good price, I let others know.  A week after I got it at such a
good deal, it was still advertised at that price on their web site.  Who
knows, maybe they got a deal on them too, since there was obviously some
miscommunication on the price between the publisher and the distributors
somewhere along the line.

If I didn't get the book at such a good price, I probably still would
have bought it.  I wouldn't get all pissy and try to sue them or
anything, I would just see it as a missed opportunity at a greal deal.

Now, back to eram, elections, and sheep devices (oops, wrong email list)

///Michael