RE: Stroker Engines

> KC posted the following:
> >Okay, a theory question, if you'll entertain it.
> >
> >Using the M20/B27 as an example...

Michael Bird chimed in:
> I found this intriguing.   Can one assume that if they use a stroker
> crankshaft, that new shorter connecting rods are also used?
> The point is to increase displacement, right?
>
> Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a really thick head
> gasket, and increase displacement that way? <g>
>
> Michael

I wish!

You're not increasing the displacement that way - you're
reducing compression ratio.  The displacement is defined
as bore x stroke x #cylinders.

Your crankshaft throw defines the amount the piston can
move up and down.  The volume DISPLACED by the piston is
what we measure.

Adding area to the combustion chamber (what your thicker
head gasket really does) does not affect the displacement.
Compression ratio is found by dividing the combustion
chamber plus cylinder volumes by the combustion chamber
volume.

Let's say you're talking 2002s.  1990cc/4 = 497.5 cc/cylinder

Let's fantasize combustion chamber volume is 60cc.
557.5/60 = 9.3  which must be about right for some pistons
they sell.  Lucky guess.

For the rest of you, WAKE UP!  I'm done with this email. :)

 - thi v.