Since when is taking advantage of a fool a moral victory?

     We all saw written:

     If you had a deal with someone (even if you knew you were getting the
     best of them) and they later asked for more you would think them
     unethical, or at least I would.  You were lucky.  I ordered from
     bookamillion and haven't received mine yet.  I hope to get it any day
     now and not have to pay the extra.
     <<<

     My, my, my.  How low we have slithered into the gutter.  When I was
     growing up I distinctly remember being taught it was wrong to take
     advantage of people.  Do you?  DO YOU?  Companies are not bank
     accounts.  Companies are people.  Stockholders, employees.  People
     depending on a profit to pay their checks, feed their families.  Is it
     wrong to keep incorrect change for a $20 at the store when a tenager
     can't make change?  Is it wrong to cheat a volunteer at Salvation Army
     because they are a little slow? No?  NO????  So just where does it
     become ok to cheat someone?  Is it ok to cheat them if they make
     10K/yr?  20K?  50K?  Just where do you check your ethics at the door
     and put yourself first no matter what?

     There is a fellow digester that pulled his checkbook out this week and
     prepared to write me a check for $300 for tires.  That was my original
     asking price but I had come down to $250.  I corrected him.  I didn't
     have too.  He has a lot of money.  His family appears to be wealthy.
     Should I have cheated him?  Why?  Because he was a fellow Digester?
     Because I was standing face-to-face with him.

     Well there are a lot of people that will trust me with their money
     just on my word.  I like it that way.  I sleep well at night.  I'm no
     saint.  I make my mistakes.  MISTAKES.  The day I conciously propose
     ripping somebody off because they made an honest error and somehow try
     to justify it, is the day I hope I drop dead.

     You people know who you out there forwarding this type of behaviour as
     acceptable.  Why these idiots at the bookstores deserve to be ripped
     off.  Teach 'em a lesson to be more careful.

     Rethink what you are saying or stay away from me.  I don't need to be
     taken.  I don't need to be associated with people who would do it.
     You only get one reputation.  Take care of it.

     Jim Powell