Re: Convertibles at L.A. Chapter Driving Schools?

Scott Miller asks in V9 #831:

>  The Jan. Roundel (pg. 11) has a letter from a Dr. Thuan N. Le of Canoga
>  Park, CA.  He likes his new M Roadster (well, who wouldn't?!!?), and
>  says, "...I will be attending driving schools and autocrosses with the
>  Club...".  OK, autocrosses maybe, but I just wondered if the L.A. Chapter
>  was admitting convertibles to track events without roll bars, or is Dr. Le
>  going to be in for a big surprise?  Well, I guess he might have installed a
>  roll bar, but I doubt it.  Sounds more like he might be a tad clueless,
> since
>  he also says he thinks Hondas are "exciting"...

You know better than that, Scott.  Just tryin' to stir this one up again?!?
;-)

Per the current *National* Drivers School Standards:

- --------------
2.8.7 CONVERTIBLES - are not allowed to participate in sessions driven at
speed without an approved rollbar.  Cars with factory installed rollover
protection, Targas, T-tops, etc. are a chapter decision.  Exclusion of all
convertibles is also a Chapter option.
- -------------

The L.A. Chapter has established guidelines which may allow, on a case by case
basis, the participation of certain open top vehicles in its Chapter Drivers
Schools.  Those guidelines include the installation of a rollbar meeting SCCA
Solo I guidelines, and five point harnesses and arm restraints for both driver
and passenger/instructor.

Anyone interested in attending an L.A. Chapter Drivers School with a properly
prepared open top car is strongly encouraged to contact the Chapter well in
advance of any such event in order to arrange for a vehicle inspection.

The BMW CCA National Driving Events Conference taking place this weekend will
be addressing this issue as well.  I hope all you 'CCAers are sending your
Chapter delegates prepared to represent your Chapter's position on this hotly
debated topic.

Gerry O'Connor
Technical Chairman
BMW CCA - LA