Re: Unbeatable BMW

At 01:50 PM 1/13/99 -0500, Andy wrote:
>Could we call a moratorium on people griping
>Because a company wouldn't honor a misquoted
>price?  Clearly these companies are quoting the
>wrong price; wholesale is maybe half full retail
>and no one can make $ selling a book for $28 when
>they paid $40 for it.

I agree... to a point.  If every part of a deal has been finalized except
delivery and then one party wants to change the price, they are simply wrong.

>Whatever line of work you're in, do you think your
>firm would honor a misquoted price indefinitely? A
>price at which $ is lost on every sale? "What? Our
>receptionist said our senior partners' billing
>rate is $45/hour? Actually, it's $200, but since
>it appeared on the internet we'll honor it until
>the firm goes bankrupt." Don't think so.

No one said they had to honor the price indefinitely.  The gripe is that
they had settled on a price and are now backing out.  I am sure many
digesters have worked for company's that made mistakes on quotes and have
lived with them.  I know my firm has.  They do have the right to back out
since technically this is a retail operation.  I'm sure many have seen
obvious misprints in the newspaper but this one people actually gave a cc#
and apparently closed a deal.

>Everyone ordering it (including me from
>booksamillion last week) at the ridiculously low
>price knows we're taking advantage of a clerical
>error. Enough with the indignant rage when they
>correct the error. Suck up the extra 25 beans from
>the caviar budget, or live w/o the book.

I see only rage in your post.  Let people vent.  If you had a deal with
someone (even if you knew you were getting the best of them) and they later
asked for more you would think them unethical, or at least I would.  You
were lucky.  I ordered from bookamillion and haven't received mine yet.  I
hope to get it any day now and not have to pay the extra.

Out.

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5
'72 tii