[all] re: Douglas battery purchase question

jun lim asked:
>About a week ago, there was a post stating that Douglas Batteries were
>OEM for BMW's.  Someone was able to purchase OEM batteries from a
>Douglas distributor for about $51 .  I contacted Doug Batt thru e-mail
>and got a phone # for the nearest distributor in my area.  However, the
>dist said that they only sold the OEMs to the BMW dealers.  Can anyone
>let me know how to buy one of these without going thru a dealer?
>
>Thanks Jun

Douglas batteries are also available through BatteriesPlus franchises.
They have web site http://www.batteriesplus.com/storelocate.html  and 800
number (800.67.START).  The huge underseat battery for the E34 and E32 cars
is right around $70 through them and is *exactly* like the OE battery with
a different sticker on it.  The E28 size was in the sixty-something $$
range but I opted for the thirty-something $$ Champion International-series
(for VWs but fit fine) from Sam's Clubs, for Ann's 221,000 mile 535i.  I
did get 100k and over 6 years out of the OEM Varta.

Usual disclaimers apply, YMMV.

- -Phil Marx