M42 oil pan replacement

I've been asked to help out an friend of my daughter who smashed the oil pan
on his 1991 318is with the M42 motor. My main question is how high must the
motor be lifted to get the upper part of pan off/on. I'm assuming from initial
glance that that must be done. He's lucky that the oil pump appears undamaged.
He's getting the pan parts and so forth. I have a engine lift to pull up the
motor is necessary. Can the crank be rotated just right and the upper half be
removed. I won't be doing this until next week but any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

Greg Mierz
GregM2002@domain.elided
Roster Manager