RE: Snow Tire recommendations

> on Mon, 11 Jan 1999 Scott Messing <smessing@domain.elided> asked RE: Snow
tire recommendations

>I have been looking at two different snow tires to put on my 94 325is,
>the Pirelli Winter 210 Asimmetrico and the Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-02.
>
>I have been hearing good things about both tires.  Can anyone share any
>personal recommendations.  I am concerned about dry handling along with
>the snow and ice.  I live in New Jersey where we don't have constant
>snow.

Scott,

I have looked at both and selected Pirelli Winter 210's.  My reasoning was
as follows.  I live in Wisconsin, and when we do get snow, we get a fair
amount.  BUT WE DO NOT GET SNOW OR ICE EVERY DAY, or every week for that
matter.  Last week doesn't count :(  In my case, dry performance was equally
as important as snow/ice roadholding ability.  Plus I would have had a hard
time keeping the ///M within the speed safety margin of the Q-rated tires.
In the last two week it snowed here quite a bit, and I am thrilled with the
way the W210's held their own.  Today, in the midsts of a 2-4" snow fall, I
rode in my co-worker's Jetta.  He had all-season tires and was sliding
pretty well.  My ///M was no SUV, but had no trouble at all.  none. zippo.
zilch. you get the idea...

in any event, go for the Blizzaks if you want good ice traction and do not
expect to go over 90mph on the highway (Q-rated tire).  Go for the Winter
P210's if you enjoy DRIVING, even in the winter.

George K.
'97 ///M3 sedan

PS  I got my P210's from www.tirerack.com