325e Overheat

Hello all, i have yet another few questions for you. Today on the way to
school about halfway there my heat all of a sudden shutoff, giving me only
cold air, next my battery light came on, and my engine temp gauge started
rising. I drove for about 1 mile until the temp guage reached the redline, at
which point i pulled over to the side of the road. My carpool buddies and i
managed to push the car to the nearest gas station. We parked the car and
hiked the next 6 miles to school (Michigan weather -20 degree windchill 8am) I
was pretty dissapointed. The car is currently in a parking lot waiting for a
towtruck to come get it to take it to the repair shop here in Grand Rapids.
Anyone know what could have caused this? am i in for a very large repair bill?
Thanks