ODO's was e28 (535i) Buying advice....

Is the odometer we see (on the dash) the only place where a BMW keeps
mileage I have a friend that had a broken speed sensor and when fixed
had not put on any mileage for the week it was broke. is there somewhere
else he can get the true mileage from? this is a E36 318

Jeff

PS Is it true the Z3 body has been named E40?
if so we can strat refering to it as such