Re: E30 Front Rotors

Recently someone wrote regarding contact on only the outer radii of their
front brake rotors.

I recently replaced the pads on my 89 325i.  It was the first replacement ever
(77k mi!) so I decided that I needed to do something with the rotors.  They
looked good, so I could not justify replacement.  I decided to have them
turned and the machinist reported that they had a significant taper from the
outer radius inward.  He said that this was not uncommon and it was more
pronounced on the front as would be expected.  The taper is due to a prolonged
period of uneven pressure from the calipers and is normal.

I would suggest one of three things:
1.  Replace the rotors (most expensive option and probably not necessary
IMHO).
2.  Wait for the pads to wear in and match the rotors.  Could take a while
depending on how bad the rotors are.
3.  Remove rotors and have them turned.  Make sure they remain thicker than
the minimum which should be stamped on the rotor.  A good machinist will check
for this.  Should cost about $10-15 per rotor.

Gregg