E39 Driving Impressions - Could it be a WOB? You decide...

Sunday night Chris posted a question about E39 vs E46.   Since I recently
traded my E36 M3 for a 5-speed "Sport Package" E39, I felt qualified to
answer half of his question.   If you don't care about the E39, then please
feel free to use the "Kibort key"  (aka PgDn).

Chris said that he couldn't get the E39 to oversteer.   Well, heh, heh, you
just didn't try hard enough!   Go into a turn fast in a low gear and nail
it right before the apex.   You'll get that rear end loose.   But it's a
dream to dial back in.   Very controllable.

This car has incredible grip and handling for it's size.   I was amazed,
and still am.   But remember, the sports package on the E39 (unlike the
E46) is actually the "M" technics suspension that you get on the 540
6-speed and, as far as I know, is exactly what we will get on the M5.   It
is an excellent compromise of ride quality and handling ability.   My car
has Dunlops (sorry, I didn't drive it today so I can't run out and look at
them), so I have no doubt that real stickies (like MXX3 or some super soft
Yokos or Pirellis) would do even better.    The brakes, although standard,
seem quite adequate (it is a BMW, after all) and the road noise is miminal.
Great seats (I got the lumbar support as my only other option) and typical
BMW radio.    I think that many of the conveience features between the cars
are similiar.   I prefer the larger car, both for space, ride, ease of
entry and safety.   I think the rear-end ratio may be a bit higher
(numerically lower) on the 5 vs the 3.   This would explain why the same
engine seems less torquey to you.   I've only had the car for 1400 miles,
but I average 27.8 MPG commuting to work (mostly high density highway),
probably closer to 30 MPG on the highway alone.

And yes, the wheels are killer-cool.    But, it is a BMW, and they are a
pain to clean.

Now, I may be wrong here, but I think the E46 "sports package" is mostly
body stuff, maybe a tighter suspension, but I don't think it's the M3
suspension.    I like my 5, the insurance is much lower than on the M3,
it's much more comfortable, but I miss the power.   Those extra few hundred
pounds do make a difference.   And fifty horsepower too, yeah, right.

Feel free to email me privately if you have any questions.

Michael

Today I drove the E28 M5, in case anyone was wondering.