Snow Tires; New-Born BMW Enthusiast

>   Last summer I bought an '87 528e.  The dealer told me to make sure to put snow
> tires on all four wheels.  So does the E28 home page.  (the car came with Parelli
> tires that seem to have a very light tread).

    Anyway, people at work ( I live near Boston) suggested that snow tires would be
unnecessary, and that I should just leave the Parellis on all winter.  I responded
that they were driving front wheel drive cars with "all weather" tires and I felt
that I might need more tread.  They said, "No way!  Just drive with the tires you
have."

    I follow my instincts these days.  I had four blizzex tires put on the car in
late November, and last week , it snowed.  At best, from what I've heard and read, I
expected the BMW to be "OK" in snow.  Was I pleasantly surprized!  The Bee-mer
performed like a tank in the snow.  It was better than my previous car (a '90
Corolla which was great in snow).

    I enjoy this digest, but I'm not the typical BMW freak-racer-mechanic-techy.  I
went to a Mercedes dealer looking for a good used Mercedes.  I was sick of small
uncomfortable cars, no matter how reliable.  The salesman took me right to the BMW
and sold it to me very easily by having me drive it.  I must say that I am among the
converted.  After driving my 12 year old BMW for six months, my sister's loaded '99
Honda Accord seems like a Ford Escort.