<E36>Cloudy Headlight Cover Remedy?

It's been noted that owners of early E36's may remedy their pitted,
cloudy plastic headlight covers by attempting various methods of
polishing, polishes.  I tried, and was not very successful. As far as
I know, the only option is to replace the headlight housings, which
includes the front clear plastic covers.  The part numbers are
63-12-1-387-863 ("Reflector left") and 63-12-1-387-864 ("Reflector
Right").

Now, in comparing my OE housings with the new ones I just received, I
noticed a significant difference. On the 1992 ones, the plastic
"covers" appear to be as one with the housing.  On the ones I just
received, the plastic front "covers" appear to be held onto the actual
housings with spring-type metal clips on either side, leading me to
believe that BMW will soon provide just the replacement plastic covers
for these, avoiding the waste of having to purchase the entire
housings at $82.00 BMW retail for each side.

Anyone know when this design change started?  My parts sources tell me
that just the clear covers are not available at this time..

Ron Browne
1992 318is
Bowie, MD