Re: General scientific question

Hi Michael.  The pressure as we measure is relative to our
environment.  You're confusing PSI with atmospheres.  The air around
us at sea level is 1 atmosphere = 760 mm of mercury (or 760 torr) = ??
(I want to say 24...but it's been really long since I last looked at
these units) PSI.  Every measuring device already accounts for this
pressure around us.  FYI, every 33 feet of water, the pressure goes up
by 1 atmosphere.

Chester

>Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 07:57:05 -0600
>From: Michael_Bird@domain.elided
>Subject: General scientific question
>
>Someone whose name I won't mention (because we cert=
>ainly don't want to sta=rt getting a bunch of stuff ab=ut it...)
posted a
>diatribe about ram scoops, which Don C. later cleaned up so that we
could
>actually read it (hey, thanks Don!), but he (the original writ=r)
said that
>scoop A produced .35 PSI and scoop B produced .85 PSI or some such
stuff.
>OK, here's my question:   I thought that regular old air, the kind
you are
>breathing right now as you read this, unmoving, at sea level would be
at 1
>(one) PSI.   I may very well be wrong, but if I'm right, then it
would seem
>that Ma=K is saying that the scoops generate vacuum rather than
pressure.
>Which doesn't seem right.

==

Please reply to chester@domain.elided