Re: bmw-digest V9 #802

> Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 22:22:53 -0800 (PST)
> From: Sanjay Prasad <sxprasad@domain.elided>
> Subject: E30 Spring replacement
>
> I am considering replacing the springs and shocks on my '90 325i.  The
> rear shocks look really simple and the front springs seem pretty easy
> if the shocks are going to be replaced also.  My concern though is w/
> the rear springs.  Specifically, I am concerned about damaging the CV
> joints.  The Bentley manual refers to "supporting the suspension," but
> doesn't really describe how to do this.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

I thought I learned how to do this from the Bentley Manual...  Here's what I do:  Unhook the rear sway bar from the rear swing arms.  Disconnect the 3 rear most muffler hangers so that the muffler drops several inches.  Using a small hydraulic jack lift up slightly on the rear differential and remove the mounting bolt.  Lift only enough to remove the pressure from the bolt.  Then gently lower the differential several inches.  You should now be able to drop the rear swing arm enough to remove the springs without hurting the CV joints.  You might want to use the hydraulic jack when lowering the rear swing arm,  that way it doesn't just drop when you remove the lower shock mounts.  Good luck.

- -Kurt Zimmerman