84 528e Idle Surges Bad When Warm.

Hi All,
I am new to the list so this post is probably old hat.
I looked throught the archives but could not find an answer.
I have a 1984 528e Automatic.  It has been pretty cold here in Chicago
lately, highs of 10 and lows of -7 or more.  My 528e has been Surging
very badly at Idle when in park.  It only happens when the engine is
fully warmed
up.  It fluctuates between 900rpm and 1500rpm very rapidly.  I tried
disconecting
the O2 sensor to see if that would smooth out the idle, but that had no
affect at all.
The Idle does not fluctuate when the car is stopped and in gear, like at
a stop light.
Any Ideas would be very much appreciated.
Otherwise my wife will drive me crazy about this problem.
Thanks in advance!
ginz...