Re: E30 Oil Filter wrench BA

>From: Sanjay Prasad <sxprasad@domain.elided>
>Subject: E30 Oil Filter wrench
>
>What type of oil filter wrench works best on the E30?
>
>I changed the oil myself for the first time in my '90 325i.  Getting
>the oil pan drain bolt was simple, but getting the oil filter off was
>a royal pain.  When I went to get the filter off, I realized that my
>oil filter wrench was slightly too big.  I had bought it for my other
>car (Range Rover) which has a giant oil filter.  The wrench probably
>would have worked if the oil filter had not been strong-armed into
>place.  I finally managed to turn it by putting a screwdriver through
>the filter and using that for leverage.
>
>Sanjay Prasad
>'90 325i

If the oil filter has been fitted correctly, there should be no need for
a wrench of any kind.  However, I find that oil filter pliers work best,
mine are Snap-On, but I'm sure Sears or others sell an equivalent.
Basically a pair of pliers with jaws designed to go around a filter.

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta

Please include all correspondence when replying
to avoid confusion - Thank you