Re: Bad move, BMW

Michiel van Wessem said:

>Hi Don,
>
>Terrific post. I agree with you 134%
>
>Having moved from the Netherlands to the US, I can tell you it's American
>to go so crazy about comfort. Look at American cars, even ten years ago,
>everything was electric. Look at their size - that too is a comfort
>feature. Once in the horizontal plane, now vertical too with SUV's. In the
>Netherlands, cars are small, because of high gas and luxury taxes and
>because of parking. And you don't even see recliners there!
>
>Too bad BMW wants it cars to be statusmobiles. I like the fun element more.
>Let's hope they'll do the 2003.
>
>Michiel (87 325es)

Hi Michiel,

Thanks, but I think the marketers have Americans wrong.   For instance,
most SUV people just drool over Hummers, yet they are far from comfortable
and luxurious.   And, look at the hotrod Hondas running around with
suspensions so hard they bounce on every bump.

To me, the marketeers are limiting our choices because of their own short
sightedness and cynicism.

When I go in Costco, and can only buy one Makita drill (when they make 10
or so),

when Jag-Ooh-ar won't sell me a car with a stickshift,

when perfectly beautiful women get rubber boobs,

I am not seeing "the will of the people" IM-ever so-HO, I am seeing
marketeers pushing their opinions on the culture, and the culture being too
weak to demand better.

Oh, and would rather have this fight to get a nice car we can drive, than
deal with the hatred of, and absurd cost, of cars in Yurrup...

;-]

regards

DC

Don Cicchetti - BMW CCA member 122043
dcicchet@domain.elided
'71 2002/M42 (waddya mean that motor don't go in there?)

- -Beatnik Motor Werke-       0=OO=0