Bad move, BMW

Hi all,

I'm probably behind the curve, and you may all know this already, but I
just found out that BMW has dropped all 4-cylinder motors for the U.S.

Dumb dumb dumb....

I had already decided on a 318ti as our next car, and now they won't have any!

4-bangers have some notable advantages in a light car, among them
certainly, is cost.

Once again, it looks like BMW has forgotten that an affordable, small,
light, nimble car, with a *four cylinder engine*, a lot of charm, no power
sunroofs, power seats, power locks, windows, etc. was what put them on the
map, and saved the company from the "luxury" mindset that almost ruined
them in the 50's and early 60's.

Looks like the "luxury" crowd has won again.   Even the M cars have all the
amenities and the price to go with them today.   Rubbish I say!

What did an '02 cost in 71?   If I remember right, it was around 3500.00.
In todays dollars, that's what 10-12K? .     Even though inflation doesn't
account for it, let's call it 20K!

Now what I want to know is: *Where is that equivalent car today?*

Well they don't make one, do they?

Boneheads.

Luxury luxury luxury....

Millions of us do not care about luxury.  We don't need heated seats, our
arms and fingers work fine; we don't need mechanical assistance opening the
windows, sunroof, adjusting the seat, or locking the door.   We don't need
ABS, we don't need traction control, we don't need a trip computer or GPS.
(What's wrong with maps?)

We just need a great car.

And what we are -getting- is "luxury" at rich-guy-only prices.   dumb dumb
dumb..

Sooo, Hanz und Franz, if you're listening; make us a nice 2002 reissue.
Make it worthy of the name, and make it for real people to afford.

Or mebbe soon, the current line will be called "baroque angels" too...

DC

Don Cicchetti - BMW CCA member 122043
dcicchet@domain.elided
'71 2002/M42 (waddya mean that motor don't go in there?)

- -Beatnik Motor Werke-       0=OO=0