Re: M3 Chugging--Fix BA

>From: "Tim Gergen" <m3gizmo@domain.elided>
>Subject: M3 Chugging--Fix
>
>the dual mass flywheel was BMW's
>way (in the M3) to build someting really expensive to circumvent
>something that worked fine in the first place

It was BMW's way of quietening down the various transmission and clutch
noises because the majority of BMW owners cry about the slightest noise
in their car and would never dream of driving their car fast or hard
enough to notice the loss of high end performance with a dual mass
flywheel.  The dual mass flywheel was introduced with the E32 in 1986
and very quickly found it's way into most other models, even the 86
325e.

>...At any rate (again), I am doing a retro-fit project,, Seems taht a
525 flywheel is a lot
>lighter and is NOT dual mass..

I think you mean 528 flywheel, as in E28 528e.  I would contact Jason at
www.zionsvilleautosport.com , 1 800 BIMMERS and ask, he has done this
conversion dozens of times.

>With the change of a ring gear I think I can convert to a lighter
flywheel, a more cheaper flywheel, and a
>"normal" cluthc..

With a slight loss in take off power and a slight increase in noise.  If
these things do not bother you, then this is one of the most cost
effective performance modifications you can make to your car.  An added
bonus being that your has to be changed anyway.......

>Tim

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta

Please include all correspondence when replying
to avoid confusion - Thank you