Re: '88 535i Check engine light, to have or not to have BA

>>> The Bentley states that '88 E28's have the
>>> light and my local smog shop wouldn't pass the car due to the "Check
>>> Engine" light being inoperable.
>>
>> If you "smog shop" doesn't know that the 88 535i doesn't have one,
>> then I suggest finding a new one..
>>
>> Simple!
>>
>> 1984-1988 535i's are Adaptive, using the 059 DME.. no diagnostics
>> and NO CHECK ENGINE light!

It's quite simple.  If you have the large, 20 pin, diagnostic connector,
you should have an operational Check Engine light in the US.

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta

Please include all correspondence when replying
to avoid confusion - Thank you