Re: Oil temp vs water temp

Well, Clark, I've owned cars with both coolant and oil temp gauges.  On
those cars, the coolant warms up first, in just a few minutes (more or
less), while the oil takes longer.  Don't ask me to explain the physics of
that, probably has something to do with oil viscosity or something?  But,
that's what happened.

>Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 17:02:42 -0600
>From: "Gilbert, Clark" <Clark_Gilbert@domain.elided>
>Subject: RE: Oil temp vs water temp
>
>Mark -
>
>This does not make sense to me, but I can be convinced. The oil is in
>much closer proximity to the combustion process, and is subject to all
>the shearing action at the bearing journals and rubbing on, say, the cam
>lobes. I would think the oil gets up to temp quicker than the water. The
>water is circulated around for several minutes before the thermostat
>even opens to allow the radiator to do its work. But then again, I have
>never owned a car with both a water and an oil temp gauge. That said,
>back to the original question of when is the engine properly warmed up
>before proceeding to spirited driving, you must also take into account
>the tranny, the diff, and any other driveline components that depend on
>lubrication for protection. I would think that fifteen to twenty minutes
>is a minimum. Fargo, NoDak, in February, probably more.
>
>Clark

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977